Monday, May 18, 2009

IFAW Epic Fail: The Tiger Debate

Once upon a time in a land far, far away I foolishly thought I’d finally found that special dot.org which not only shared my love for the world’s helpless creatures but might also be backed by some common sense. After all, I’d never heard of IFAW (International Fund For Animal Welfare) provoking blind followers to throw paint or animal guts on people wearing fur…

Or to make love to vegetables…


There’s a cucumber joke here, I just can’t see it…


Once upon a time I also thought one voice could make a difference in a room full of dummies. Then I watched ten minutes of C-SPAN…

Once upon a time I also thought one voice could make a difference in a party full of dummies. Then I heard Nancy Pelosi speak and thought, Yeah


After signing up for IFAW’s emails and reading them every blue moon it became clear I was very wrong. But I found them so amusing I couldn’t bring myself to unsubscribe. So now I take a few minutes to share the gist of an outrageous one I got a week ago that I actually read.

Subject (direct quote): Tell ABC and the Chinese Embassy to say “NO!” to eating tigers


Omigods! WTF is this about?


Body (summed up with their words but not direct quotes): ABC is irresponsible and crazy… John Stossel is dangerous… He said we should eat tigers… Express your outrage… Email 20/20 and the Chinese Embassy. Get these tiger farms shut down…


Time for a reality check!

A minute with google and I found John Stossel and Jeff Diamond's story which just happens to make perfect sense, and pretty much proves IFAW is an organization run by monkeys gone bananas for people who can’t think for themselves. Oh but they DO have a cute man helper, don’t they?


Work of art or 5 yrs without shaving?


So it turns out (and anybody who watched 20/20 on May 8th already knows this) John Stossel isn’t going to demand a tiger burger at Fuddrucker’s anytime soon. His whole point was if the Chinese were allowed to own tigers and raise them in captivity the chances are very good, perhaps better, they’d survive in the long run. And if the Chinese people just happen to like eating tiger, why shouldn't they be able to get it legally? It's not like they could smoke them... well, actually...


After all, buffalo ranches out West saved those juicy beasts from extinction. And yes, they are delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment